The picture of the carpet above is just for the transmission tunnel. I have some second hand carpet for the floor pans. I am going to use these as templates and cut some new ones out of roll of black carpet. Thanks for your advice on the carpet sections Peter, it will help me when making the rest of the carpet, as I will be making that from scratch. This picture is of pair of second hand floor pan carpets kindly given to me by 'RAM', who has a very nice Ford based Eagle.
I have now fitted the carpet to the transmission tunnel. I have also fitted the floor pan section to the drivers side. Holes for the seats have been marked out. The floor pan section came from a slightly newer phase 3 model and I think that these may be slightly different as it doesn't quite fit as it should.
After some careful measurements I have marked out and drilled the holes for to secure the dashboard. Two holes on the offside and two holes on the nearside. I took measurements so that both sides looked symmetrical. I also secured the centre console part of the dash with a couple of screws and used some screw caps to tidy it all up.
The heater fan,which is from a mini,is now wired up to the cortina wiring loom in the car. I have fitted a 15 amp inline fuse that is located near to the heater box which mounts to behind the dash above the passengers feet. I still have to connect some air tubing so that the heat can be dircted to the drivers feet, although the dash vents are fitted and work well.
I am hoping to get the car on the road this year. I have recently fitted a pair of flexible brake hoses to the front and have a list of about 10 more jobs to do before it is ready for an MOT. The bodywork looks untidy as it is the original faded gel coat finish but the respray will have to wait until finances allow.
I have fitted some countach style door mirrors. These are universal mirrors that are sold by 'car builder solutions'. I had to make a wedge shaped spacer for them so they would fit level. without the spacer they pointed up at 45 degrees.
Made up an aluminium fascia for the centre console. This is for mounting the sat-nav. I have also made up an aluminium heat shield for the exhaust. I am hoping to have the car on the road this year, but it still needs a good road test.
I gave the eagle a 4 mile road test over the weekend. It is the first time I have driven it, apart from off and on the driveway. I found that the suspension was very hard and when I had a closer look I discovered that it was riding on the bump stops. I have now cut the bump stops down a little but I may have to change the front springs. The electric fan cuts in okay but water pump has started to leak. So I have ordered a new one for about £29. No other major problems have arisen though.
I have now got an MOT on the Eagle, So it is on the road. There are some teething problems as the suspension has very little travel and I need to try some other front springs. I also need to get the engine running a little better. I reckon I have done about 30 miles in it so far. Driving it takes some getting used to though.
I have fitted some different front suspension springs that are about 40mm higher. This gives the suspension more travel and makes the car better to drive. The higher springs put the tracking out a bit and I have also reset the tracking.
hi neil. looking good so far, and great news its passed its mot... teething problems are all part of the kit car scene...and its allways good to see how people use there ingenuity to overcome them. keep the posts coming
During the last few weeks I have made a new exhaust system. The first system came out from the right hand side, but was very noisy. I have made a system with a better silencer that exits at the rear of the car. There isn't much space between the road and the exhaust but it hasn't given any trouble yet.
I have driven about 100 miles in the Eagle. The starter motor is a little slow at times and I will remove it in a couple of weeks to have it tested by a specialist. I have fitted a larger radiator fan which helps keep it run cooler in traffic.Also I now have a reverse camera which helps when reversing the car off the drive.
Last Edit: Sept 10, 2017 16:00:13 GMT by neilsmith
Reverse camera is one of the first things I fitted back in the day, one of the first and about 2" but now of course 1/2" , wouldn't be without it and on Ukhozi I even have three others, one just behind each door covering the quarter blind spot and on in the nose with night vision... .
After having trouble getting my car to idle well I stripped down the carburettor. I found that the throttle spindle had a lot of play in, and it seemed to be allowing full vacuum to the distributor when the car was ticking over, and this should not happen. I have now fitted a new weber carb with a manual choke rather than auto. The car now is idling better. although still a little lumpy, but I do have a fast road cam fitted.